Hey guys, I hope you’re all safe, quarantined and making the most of this time. I’m absolutely loving this free time and I’ve been spending days watching a lot of content, doing some work, brainstorming a lot and most of all, working out and maintaining a proper skincare routine!
Let’s be honest. You won’t achieve more youthful looking skin overnight. Your skin will need time and a consistent routine to give it the nourishment it needs to look its best. This is why a daily skin care routine is important!
Having a proper skincare routine now will contribute a lot towards a glowing, beautiful and healthy skin even 30 years from now. Personalize a skincare routine, follow it daily and you are sure to reap good results!
Customizing a regimen for your skin’s needs and following it daily is really important. It is crucial that you follow a skincare regimen consistently and patiently. Take time each day to show your skin love by implementing a skincare routine and you are well on your way to achieving radiant and gorgeous skin.
Talking about skincare routine, I’ve listed down 5 holy-grail products you have to incorporate in your regimen for a healthy skin.
1. Face Cleanser: First off, you need the right cleanser to wash off all the oil, dirt and makeup that has been sitting on your face all day. And it’s important that you use a product that is intended for your face — a bar of soap or body wash will most likely be too harsh for the delicate skin on your face.
A lot of skin cleansers and soaps can wash away our natural oils, causing unwanted dryness and irritation. A tight squeaky-clean feeling right after cleansing is a red flag and this means that you have stripped away your skin’s natural protective barrier and have left your skin dry and vulnerable to the environment.
I would recommend you to speak to a skin specialist to understand your skin better and choose an appropriate face cleanser. Since I’ve an acne prone skin, I use The Body Shop’s Drops of Light Pure Clarifying Face Wash and it’s been working for me really well.
2. Moisturizer: The biggest beauty tip that we always hear is to moisturize. Religiously applying moisturizer after cleansing will prevent your skin from drying out, keeping it nourished, smooth and hydrated.
When choosing a moisturizer, look for one that is best for your skin type. One of the mistakes people make when it comes to moisturizers is that they don’t use a product that fits the type of skin they have. For people with oily skin, it is best to look for lightweight moisturizers that are oil-free. For those who have dry skin, thick hydrating creams or ointments can help lock in long-lasting moisture more effectively.
3. Sunscreen: Always use sunscreen! It will protect you from the harmful UV rays of the sun, which is the number one cause of wrinkles, uneven skin tone, skin sagging and other signs of skin aging.
Look for a sunscreen that will protect you against both the UVA and UVB rays of the sun and apply it to exposed parts of your body every day, even when it’s cloudy or cold outside. If you’re someone who uses makeup daily, opt for a gel-based sunscreen to avoid having that white film of sunscreen spoiling your makeup look.
4. Exfoliant: An extra skincare product that you might want to add to your skincare routine is an exfoliant. This can be used once or twice a week to help get rid of skin buildup and improve the skin’s texture and appearance.
There are two types: physical and chemical exfoliants. Physical or manual exfoliators are the classic face scrubs that contain small particles that buff away the top layer of dead skin cells while chemical exfoliators are compounds that break the bonds of the upper layer of the skin and effectively removes the dull and dead skin that you want to get rid off.
Results from physical exfoliation are often immediate but they can be too harsh and irritating for our gentle facial skin. This is why most dermatologists recommend chemical exfoliants over face scrubs to prevent skin damage and preserve the protective barrier of the skin.
5. Essential oils: I don’t know why I wasn’t introduced to the benefits of essential oils earlier. Essential oils basically are the volatile essences of plants that create unique, wafting fragrances, with benefits. They can be extracted from any plant’s flowers, bark, stem, leaves, roots, and sometimes its fruits. No matter the source, these oils are complex mixtures, often containing up to 60 different substances. It’s really important to choose essential oils depending on your skincare goal carefully, as some of these can be really good for skin, while others not so good.
Lastly, it is extremely important that you understand, the outermost layer of our skin constantly changes because the older cells that we see on the surface make way for the newer skin cells from the lower layers. In fact, you lose millions of dead skin cells every day and you leave a trail of shedding skin a.k.a. dust everywhere you go.
This means that the healthy and vibrant skin you have today can instantly look dull and tired tomorrow as your skin cells get ready to shed and fall off. Maintaining a constant skincare routine will help maintain your skin’s radiance so you can look your best always!
Are there any specific skincare products you absolutely swear by? I’d love for you to tell me all about them!
Feel free to write in with your feedback, queries or questions on email@example.com so we can have a chat!
Meanwhile, remember to be grateful, positive, stay indoors and be safe!
See you in the next one.